Jim announced the special BACA meeting regarding land use and whatnot is tonight. See the main InShaw site for info.
Day: August 8, 2005
Special BACA meeting
This is a gentle reminder of tonight’s meeting. The issues related to
the two presentations will be the subjects of consideration and a vote of
ANC 5C in the near future. If possible, please come out and find out what is
being proposed, first-hand.
Hope to see you there!
Involving Land Use, Planning and Economic Development Issues
Agenda for the Evening Includes:
(1) A Presentation by Developer Joe Mamo re. A Proposal to Construct
Floors of Condominiums, with Commercial Property on the First Floor, on
Vacant Lot Located at the Northwest Corner of North Capitol Street and
Florida Avenue, N.W.
(2) A Presentation by Attorney Norman Glasgow re. A Proposal before
Zoning Commission to Remove a Parking Covenant from No. 60 Florida
At the conclusion of these presentations, Land Use, Planning and
Development Committee business will be taken up. Among the topics to
considered, time permitting, are:
Land Use, Planning and Economic Development Committee Structure,
Distribution of Tasks, Areas of Interest —
* Small Area Planning Visioning Session
* New York Avenue Corridor Study
* Discussion of reStoreDC/Main Streets and BACA’s role in it:
* Briefing on Economic Restructuring Seminar
* What is the “Main Street Four Point Approach” to Neighborhood Business District Revitalization?
* Economic Restructuring
* Enhanced Business Information Center (e-BIC) Classes
* Car Detailing Shop proposed for the 1500th Block of New Jersey Avenue, NW
* Review of Proposed RFPs (Requests for Proposals) made on
* Armstrong School New Charter School Progress Update
* Developer Brian Brown and the Anna J. Cooper House
* The Ramifications of Numerous Photo Enforcement Traffic
Cameras in the Area
Monday, August 8, 2005
Mount Sinai Baptist Church
3rd and Q Streets, N.W.
Rooms 1 and 2
7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Because foot washing is sooooo 1st century
As I was riding back home on my bike yesterday after church I spotted an odd sight over at the house owned by the Korean church. On the sidewalk I saw an Asian woman cutting the hair of a black man sitting in a chair. The chair could have been a barber’s chair because of its height and angle. I guess haircuts are charitable. If your talent is cutting hair, then I gather you can cut hair for the Lord.
The Korean Church that owns the house does some sometimes odd things ‘for’ the community. At times I have spotted them singing at the park on 1st where the bums hang out. I have spotted a gang of Asian teenagers posting signs of some little event or another on the light posts. And every year, they have a Easter flower give away. I just find it odd how this suburban Korean church does it’s missionary work. To each their own….
also on the topic of religious organizations…..
This is not Islamic Idol
If you are within a block of the mosque on the 1500 block of 4th Street you can sometimes hear the call to prayer that is broadcast over the loudspeakers. Sunday night, around 8:15PM, whoever was doing the call seemed like he was trying to hold every single note for as long as he humanly could. I was also trying to determine what style of singing it was too. I do listen to the different styles each man brings to his call. One time, one fellow seemed to try to belt it out like an old time R&B song. As a non-Muslim, my own personal preference is not before 5:30AM and a straight unadorned call.
INITIAL YOUR POSTS!!
I’m getting more unidentified comments and I don’t like it. Let’s just say I’m in a delete-happy mood today.