1.25 cups of peas and having failure as an option

| 2 Comments
When I came home I took a quick look at my peas and they aren't looking too good. Upon closer inspection the aphids were all on one plant and the pods of several others looked like they were going to dry out. I figure I should pick, de-pod and freeze my peas. So I rushed to grab as many peas off the vine that looked ready to go. It's getting hot, and peas don't do hot.
As I was harvesting one of my neighbors happened by and as we were talking (sorry for no eye contact E.) I mentioned the aphids. He asked about natural pesticides, hot pepper and such. I am a lazy gardener with lots of bad habits, because I entertain those bad habits, failure is an option. A learning experience too, but an option. My garden tends to be pesticide free because I am too lazy to bother, and thus there are things that will be lost to the bugs because of that. I accept that. There will be time when I find the energy and curiosity to tackle nature, but most of the time, nah. My solution to the aphids is to attack the peas with a strong spray of water. I'm bad with watering too.
I'm going to let the peas do their thing for the next week or two if daytime temperatures wander down to 75F. If they stick around the 80s and low 90s, the peas are done. They've given me veggies and they put nitrogen in the soil. Also I need to start supporting the tomato that's growing in that spot. Yes, despite getting almost nothing last year with tomatoes, I'm trying again. I'm letting some self sowers grow,even though I don't expect much.
When I escaped the mosquitoes eating me outside, I shelled the peas and wound up with 1.25 cups. Some of the peas were due for shelling, as raw they tasted horrid, others still okay with a hint of sweetness. After boiling them for 3 minutes and running cold water over them to stop the cooking, the starchy horrid ones were ok and the sweet ones still held some sweetness. I drained them and stuck them in a sandwich bag in the freezer. I'll use them up by the end of summer.
With the heat some things exploded in size. The tomatoes, the eggplant, some broccoli thing I got from a neighbor, and the beans, they doubled in size. I look forward to that harvest.

2 Comments

I have successfully used ladybugs on aphids. Last year the aphids were going crazy over my clematis, and I dumped two containers of ladybugs on them. They took care of the problem. I've seen them for sale at Merrifield and Behnke.

Leave a comment